2012年2月3日金曜日

On What Day And Time Does The Summer Solstice Begin

on what day and time does the summer solstice begin

11 things… | Giant Fossilized Armadillo

Jesskindly tagged me in the "11 things" survey over the weekend, and since I am supposed to be writing an assignment right now I thought I should take part ASAP! Anyway,I do like a bit of fun to break up the monotony of…oh wait, my last post was about gingerbread dinosaurs and the one before that was POTW. I guess my mood must be better this week

Here are the survey rules:

#1: You must post these rules (erm, done!).
#2: Each person must post 11 things about themselves on their blog.
#3: Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.

11 things, hmm? I'm not sure there's an awful lot you guys don't know about me by this point! I will give it a go anyway.

1. While I don't read food or health blogs these days I did when I started blogging, and although I am unlikely to ever drink a kale smoothie I do credit them with encouraging me to try certain foods that I'd always been scared of or convinced I didn't like before. I'm not even talking about anything exotic: at the age of 24 I hadn't eaten a banana for 20 years! It was a textural issue rather than an eating disordered one, the texture made me feel squeamish and a bit sick. However, after a couple of months of reading about the bananas of various food bloggers I thought I would give it another chance. Even now I can't eat bananas "cold", they have to be heated up in some way – mashed up in porridge or cut in half, covered in peanut butter and microwaved. I know I'm odd.

2. In addition to my discomfort with bananas, I had also never tried peanut butter until 2009, and I only started drinking coffee last year. Late starter!

3. I spent the entire summer of 1999 lying on my sofa watching my brothers play Spyro the Dragon on the playstation. It seemed like the thing to do when I was 15.

4. Before the digestive problems of doom began I used to be able to out-curry all my friends. Vindaloo? What's the fuss all about?! Of course these days I can't eat anything with chilli in without suffering. Humph.

5. Other than hairdressers, I've never been to any sort of beauty professional/therapist. I've never had a make over, a manicure, pedicure, wax (erm, just no) or anything along those lines. I believe I may be missing some girl genes somewhere.


6. I burnt my left thumb making red pepper soup earlier. But I make really good soup, it's totally worth a burnt thumb!

7. I've been to the summer solstice at Stonehenge five times – three times with my mum and sister, twice during previous relationships. I drove last time and didn't quite make it to sunrise (it was cloudy so we probably wouldn't have seen much anyway), so I drove back home ninety minutes away at 4am. Another time it rained at 2am and my uncle Chris and cousin Becky hid in dustbin bags to stay dry oh, and then there was the time I took my LED poi, and some guy asked to borrow them, then came out with "wow, these things are so fucking cool when you're on acid!". Stonehenge is great!

8. The longest I've ever been completely without sleep is three days. I got horrible sunstroke on the first and my body just refused to sleep after that – I often suffer from insomnia when I'm sunburnt. By the middle of the fourth night I was hallucinating spiders, so that was the point at which I decided I was going to lie in bed with my eyes closed until SOMETHING happened. Luckily that something was unconsciousness

9. The furthest I've ever walked in one day is eighteen miles – not an ED thing, it was a sponsored walk when I was eleven. I had great fun running down the hill at the end of the walk, and was very relieved to get in my dad's car. On the way home my parents stopped to return a video they had rented and asked me to take it into the shop. I didn't realise my knees had locked up from all the walking and I fell out of the car!

10. I hate Big Brother and I am growing increasingly upset by The X Factor/Britain's Got Talent (repetitiveand exploitative), but I am quietly falling in love with Dancing on Ice. I don't really watch TV much but it's great fun! I am a big fan of Jorgie Porter, you can so tell that she's had ballet training.

11. Eleven…eleven…gah. Run out of things. Well, there was this one time at band camp…no, wait that was American Pie. I did used to play the flute though. I still have my flute but one of the keys has been sticking since 2004 and I have yet to get it fixed. Negligent musician I am.

Here are the 11 questions Jess asked:

1. What is a song that never fails to make you cry?


Elliott Smith's Between the Bars.

2. Related to that, what's the most moving moment you can think of in a TV show or film?

Right, don't laugh at me – the moment when Billie Piper's Rose gets permanently separated from David Tennant's Doctor at the end of season two of the new Doctor Who series'. Never fails to make me cry like a baby, and I don't cry easily. Just watching them all pressed up against the wall between the two universes makes me want to throw myself off the Tyne Bridge. I LOVE Russell T Davies for bringing Doctor Who back to life, but dude has made me cry more often than any other writer in existence. It's weird, the things which touch people. I think I identify with the Doctor's loneliness, although not from the point of being a near-immortal Time Lord…

3. Favourite girl and/or boy's name?

I've never really thought about it as I don't intend to have children.

4. Favourite character from a work of literature (dramatic, poetic or prose?)

*edit* Somehow missed this one! I think Jess's idea of literature is probably much classier than mine, because I rarely read anything very serious my head is too damn serious, I like reading trashy crime and awesome fantasy stuff to take my mind off it all! I know – Captain Vimes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series closely followed by Death and Granny Weatherwax. LOVE Terry Pratchett.

5. Which do you prefer:cardio, strength or flexibility (including yoga andpilates)?

I've been going to a yoga class with my housemate for a couple of months. The instructor is a middle aged German guy with a wicked sense of humour, and you can NOT appreciate Geordie slang properly until you've heard it in a German accent. I love it! Erm, the yoga as much as the instructor, of course. I used to love running as well, but I've pretty much given up on that because my heart starts playing up every time I try to start again, however slowly I take things. I'm sure the same heart issues would apply to other cardio too, but I've not given myself the chance to find out because I avoid gyms like the plague – they turn me into an instant crazy person regarding the potential for obsessing about numbers. So walking and yoga for me


6. What would you consider to be your greatest achievement in life so far?

Recovery. Go ahead and call me aclichfor saying that, I'm not being lazy and picking the most obvious answer, I really mean it.

7. And what's an achievement, goal or dream that you are currently chasing?

I want to be a qualified counsellor and to finally finish a degree after starting and being forced to quit three others (not including the OU stuff). In two and a half years, hopefully I will have achieved both.

8. Protein, Carbs or Fats?

Aw, do I have to choose? Carbs for comfort, protein for interestingness, fat to make my hormones work properly and because everything tastes better with some fat in it. And interestingness is totally a word. I mean, you can marinate tofu or chicken with all sorts of weird and wonderful things, whereas when it comes to carbs I'm pretty much like "erm…potatoes, porridge or toast? Decisions decisions". Although Audrey and I did make a great butternut squash risotto the other day.

9. Favourite musical?

Les Misrables – great songs, great story, makes me want to start my own revolution! Do you hear the people sing?

10. Do you have any siblings? Do you get along with them? If you're an only child, do you enjoy that status?

I'm the oldest of five at 27, with sisters aged 24 and 17 and brothers aged 22 and 20. There are two and a half years between each of us and the youngest was born almost ten years to the day after myself (I so wanted mum to hang on for another three days so she could be my birthday present!). I get along with my sisters pretty well, but my brothers are a bit of a mystery to me. They are nice boys, they just don't talk much! I'm sure we will get to know each other more the longer we are all adults

11. Do you have any food phobias?

Not really – not phobias as such, but I still have quite a few texture issues with various foods. Soggy cereal, gloopy stuff like mayonnaise, cold bananas, peas, stuff like that (yes, because those things I just listed are SO similar). Crunchy things are fine and non-crunchy things are usually okay if they are hot. This is probably why I burn my mouth at most meals and will probably eventually die of mouth cancer, la Freud (coughhypochondriaccough).

Eleven questions for the next lot!


1. What made you start blogging?
2. What's the craziest (fun crazy, not crazy crazy!) thing you've ever done?
3. When was the last time you laughed until it hurt, and why?
4. Are you a morning or evening person?
5. This has been asked before, but I don't care, it's interesting – who would you invite to your ideal dinner party and why?
6. What did you want to be when you grow up?
7. What do you want to be now? Are you already there or working towards it?
8. Order or chaos?
9. Science or art? (BOTH says the nerd over here, hehe)
10. What's your favourite thing to eat for breakfast?
11. Do you find asking questions or answering them easier?

I tag…

Aardvark
Blue Eyed Heart
Briony
Cathy
Chananth
Clemmy
Moontree
Scrunchy
Zee Aitch Bully

I totally did that in alphabetical order, hehe

Advertisement